There are some Christmas traditions a lot of people look forward to – decorating the tree, listening to Christmas carols, wrapping gifts. And baking & decorating gingerbread men with the kids goes right alongside those.
Here is our recipe which we are happy to share with you.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 115 grams unsalted butter
- 150 grams brown sugar
- 125 ml molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 485 grams all purpose flour
- 10 grams ginger
- 2 grams cinnamon
- 2 grams all spice
- 2 grams baking powder
- 2 grams baking soda
- 2 grams salt
Ingredients for decorations
- Icing sugar
- Mix the sugar with the butter. And then add the molasses and eggs. Mix well.
- In another bowl sift the flour with all the other spices, salt, baking soda and baking powder. And beat the 2 mixtures together into a creamed texture.
- The mixture is a bit liquidy. Leave it to set in the fridge, until it solidifies.
- Pre - heat the oven at 180°. On a slightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 0.5cm thickness. Using a floured cutter, cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place the them apart from each other on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 11 - 13 minutes or until lightly golden - brown.
- Leave them on the tray for 10 minutes and then move them to a wire rack to finishing cooling.
- When cooled decorate with the icing sugar and decorations.